The Adams County Clerk has death certificates beginning with the year 1878. For genealogy searches, click here.
Who may obtain a copy of a death certificate?
A person or his/her authorized agent having a genealogical, personal, or proper interest in the record (a relative or a person who can prove a financial interest).
What is required before you can obtain a copy of a death certificate?
A government issued picture ID (Driver's License, State ID Card). If your request is by mail, send a copy of your ID.
A fee of $20.00 for the first copy, and $16.00 for each additional copy of the same record issued at the same time.
How can you obtain a copy of a death certificate?
You will need the following:
Decedent’s date of death
Decedent’s city of death
Before sending your request, be sure the death occurred in Adams County.
1. In Person - Stop by our office at 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL. Our hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm. You need to have your ID and payment. We accept cash, check, or credit card.
2. By Mail - Send your request form, check made payable to Adams County Clerk, a copy of your photo ID, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL. Please print clearly and legibly.
3. Online - Click on the E-Pay logo below. Please follow directions CLOSELY.
A. Complete the step-by-step process using the "Epay/Jetpay" site.
B. Fax or email the following on a sheet of paper to 217-277-2155 or VitalRecords@co.adams.il.us:
1. Photo ID
2. Your signature
3. If possible, the "Confirmation" number from your confirmation page you receive from Epay/Jetpay.
4. Mailing address if different from the ID and/or Billing Address
If you have questions, or if you wish to ensure your documents have reached our office, you may call us at 217-277-2164.