Marriage Certificate

Marriage License Copies

Records of marriages in Adams County begin in 1825. Follow this link for genealogy searches.

Who may obtain a copy of a marriage certificate?

Certified marriage certificates, in general, may only be obtained by the bride or groom listed on the certificate or a parent of the bride or groom listed on the certificate.

Copies: A copy only of the front of a marriage certificate is open to the public (copies will not be certified and typically are not accepted as a legal document). Any information regarding family history which is normally found on the back of a Certified Marriage Certificate will not be reproduced for the general public.

What is required before you obtain a copy of a Marriage Certificate?

  1. A Government issued picture ID (Driver's License, State ID Card) if requesting a Certified Marriage Certificate.

  2. A fee of $14.00 for each copy requested, each additional copy of the same record at the same time is $9.00. Make checks payable to Adams County Clerk.

How can you obtain a copy of a marriage certificate?

Either way you choose, you will need to provide us with the following information:

  1. The name of the Spouse A (legal name used prior to marriage)

  2. The name of the Spouse B (legal or maiden name used prior to marriage)

  3. The date and city of marriage

Before sending your request, be sure the marriage occurred in Adams County.

In Person - Stop by our office at 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL. Our hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm. You need to have your ID and payment. We accept cash, check, or credit card.

By Mail - Send your request form, check made payable to Adams County Clerk, a copy of your photo ID, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL. Please print clearly and legibly.

Marriage Certificate Request Form

Online - Click on the E-Pay logo below.  Please follow directions CLOSELY.

  1. Complete the step-by-step process using the "Epay/Jetpay" site.

  2. Fax or email the following on a sheet of paper to 217-277-2155 or

    1. Photo ID

    2. Your signature

    3. If possible, the "Confirmation" number from your confirmation page you receive from Epay/Jetpay.

    4. Mailing address if different from the ID and/or Billing Address

If you have questions, or if you wish to ensure your documents have reached our office, you may call us at 217-277-2164.