Permit Requirements

All development within the 100-yr. floodplain (not just construction of buildings, but filling, excavation, fences, etc.) is required to obtain a Floodplain Development Permit. Applications must be made prior to doing any work in a floodplain area. Please contact the Adams County Highway Department to receive all the information you will need in order to properly develop in the floodplain at (217) 223-0614. You may report any illegal development activities to the above number as well.

Adams County floodplain regulations require any structure with over 50% damage or improved by over 50% or increased in flood area by more than 20% be elevated to 1 foot above the base flood elevation. This requirement is cumulative over the life of the building. For example, if your building was damaged 25% in the flood of 1993 and 25% again in 2008, you will be required to elevate. If you own a building along the banks of the Mississippi River and it has not been elevated, you will most likely be required to elevate the building after the next major flood. The National flood insurance program has an increased cost of compliance (ICC) rider on flood insurance policies. This ICC will pay up to $30,000 to elevate your building if it is over 50% damaged. Check with your insurance company to be sure you are covered.