The Adams County Highway Department was created by State Statute in 1913. From 1913 to 1939 the Highway Department operated from a one- room shed located in the area of 24th and State Street in Quincy.
In 1939 the Department moved to a larger facility at the corner of 36th and Broadway Street.
On December 23, 1985, the Adams County Board sold at public auction the County Highway Department property located at 36th and Broadway for $821,000.
The current facility was constructed on property owned by Adams County on N 54th St for $42 Construction started on May 27, 1986, and the Highway Department moved in on October 30,1986.